Sassy by name, Sassy by nature, I write to explode the myths which surround the lapdancing profession - standing up for the clubs, the girls and the customers. Its not always drinking champagne and playing with my tits - it can be hassle, hustling and hangovers. At heart I'm just a regular twenty-something posh cockney living in London who likes taking her clothes off...
Now lets face it, stripping is perfect for putting a girl through education. You don’t have to get up in the morning so can work a late night, you are young and in your giggliest, most sociable prime, and are probably not in your hometown. Plus you get paid in cash, far more than the average bartending/shelf-stacking part-timer, and can save that student loan for a rainy day. Why not be a college/university stripper?
It’s also a stereotype which is continually abused by most lapdancers. There was a recent study from the University of Leeds which stated that one in four lapdancers have a university degree. I’d agree that this is a fair estimate, but if you are a punter and ask the question outright, show the slightest bit of keeness that you hope your right, and she will flutter her lashes and say “Yes! of course!”
(an article can be found here; http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/one-in-four-lap-dancers-has-a-degree-study-finds-2063252.html
and a good blog post from the informative Busaman group can be found here; http://busamagroup.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/facts-about-strippers-and-exotic-dancers-revealed/ )
Most college/university strippers will be studying something along these lines;
- Beauty Because we spend hours in front of the mirror each night, preening ourselves, and you may as well know how to put on the slap properly.
- Hairdressing As above, but this is also a really useful skill for a dancer to have, as she will make a lot of friends in the changing room if she knows how to curl those locks just so and execute a killer blowdry. And more friends = more girls who will bring you onto a good table.
- Acting/Dancing As every night spent in the club is theoretically a method acting opportunity. Besides, most auditions are held after lunch.
- Business studies Paticuarly if said dancer is an eastern european. They really like studying business studies, I guess its because lots of the city colleges offer it.
- The arts Struggling artists and muso types gravitate towards and opportunity to express themselves whilst bounding around naked and earning decent pocket money until they are discovered.
- Law I know, weird huh? I think it’s something to do with the super expensive fees and the lengthy course, but I swear I’ve met more than a few girls in pink G-strings who also like a legal brief. I blame the Legally Blonde effect.